The Joyful Parent

A Christian mom blog by a work-at-home mom.

Friday, March 04, 2005

Serious About Laughter

Yes, I recognize the irony in my title. But I have so much fun laughing with my little ones and I feel it is so good for our spiritual, emotional and physical health that I have felt the need to make a serious study of the fun side of life.

When I was a practicing psychiatrist, I spent all of my time focusing on the negative aspects of life. It becomes a habit. So although I feel I would like more joy in my family life, it does not always feel like the most natural thing to me.

The book "The Learning Power of Laughter" by Jackie Silberg has lots of fun games, songs,jokes and poems that keep us laughing. I feel like motherhood is unlocking a cache of joy deep inside me that has been locked up for a long time.